Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Starter solenoid clicks but starter won't turn. I have 12.8

Customer Question

Starter solenoid clicks but starter won't turn. I have 12.8 volts from the battery
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).
Additionally, check (or better yet, replace) the starter solenoid. To locate this solenoid, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the solenoid. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:
• if no starter action, then starter motor issue;
• if starter would clack loudly, then an internal issue;
• if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
• if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter solenoid and/or its wiring fault.