P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I'd like to buy an ultra cvo but cannot find appreciation for

Customer Question

I'd like to buy an ultra cvo but cannot find appreciation for the colors. If I was to have it painted would I ruin the value?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
The majority of people that want a CVO bike are looking for the paint job as well. The valuation to a bank or insurance company won't change as they base their information on the VIN information. If you paint it a custom color or scheme the value to the majority of buyers will decrease. There will always be some buyers that appreciate the bike based only on the additional factory installed accessories and engine size and are willing to pay the value of the bike regardless if they like the color you paint it. Anytime you paint a bike you just narrow your market a little more, as is the case with any custom, or non-stock paint scheme and this will make it harder to find the buyer willing to pay the full value. I know many customers that have bought bikes they didn't like the color of but they negotiated a reduced price to cover some or all of the re-paint during the purchase. Keep in mind that the frame is coated to generally match the body's scheme on the CVO's and re-painting a frame is obviously quite a bit of work. Also, anyone that may want to change the color in the future will have to deal with the frame as well if it isn't black as the non-CVO bikes are. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.