Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2000 Polaris sportsman 500. Nothing electrical will

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Polaris sportsman 500. Nothing electrical will work except the kill switch. No starter, no lights on pod, no speedo, no head light, no cooling fan, no 4x4, I needed the machine to skid logs yesterday so I pull started it and jumper wired the fan direct to the battery and it ran all day. The battery shows 12.4 volts on multimeter.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome back to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially (and if have not been tried), the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then load tested (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating it as a suspect).
Of particular interest (depending on the version) would be the red wire from the battery's + terminal to the starter solenoid then another red wire from the starter solenoid to a 20Amp Circuit Breaker and of course the circuit breaker itself as well as another red wired wire from the breaker to the ignition switch and then the ignition switch itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I'll yank the battery tonight and charge it, clean terminals etc. how do I check the breaker? Multi meter on battery side should be 12v and output side? Just not sure if there's any resistance/capacitance value in breaker.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
No resistance. The breaker should show 0Ω otherwise it would have tripped and if so, checked/reset.