Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Yamaha XL 760: When I push the start button the starter relay

Customer Question

When I push the start button the starter relay just buzzes. I am only getting about 5 to 8 volts to the relay. Battery. Is fully charged. I have changed starter and starter relay.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.If your battery is good and it is dropping down to below 8 volts when trying to start the ski, there is a possibility the engine is locked up and that is why it won't start.The first thing I suggest you do is remove the spark plugs and look at the ends that were inside the cylinder. Check for any signs of water or rust on the spark plugs.Next, put the spark plugs back in the caps, but not in the cylinder head, and try to crank the engine over with the plugs out. Cover the spark plug holes with a towel and a 2x4 or something heavy so if it sprays water or fuel out, it won't hurt you or anyone else.If it still doesn't want to turn over, remove the plastic cover over the engine coupler and attempt to turn the crank shaft by hand. Normally, you should be able to turn it with the spark plugs out. If it will not turn over by hand, something has locked the engine up. It could be seized pistons, corrosion on the rings and cylinder wall, bearing corrosion on the crank or rods or seized connecting rods.Why it isn't turning will be come apparent in time. Right now we need to see if we are fighting a mechanical problem that sounds like an electrical issue. Since you have charged the battery and changed the starter and relay, that may very well be the case. BTW, is the starter motor and relay you put in new?Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine will turn over. If I bypass the switch I can get it to start but not every time. The voltage leaving the switch and going to the starter relay is where I get voltage drop.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
So it doesn't drop down in the 5-8 DCV range every time? I would still like you to attempt to turn the engine over by hand to make sure it doesn't have tight spots in the crank/cylinders.Also, were the parts you put on new or used? Yamaha or aftermarket?Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parts are new. The engine does turn over buy hand. Is there a way I could get a wiring diagram so I can follow the wiring?