Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2006 FLHTC motor starts and runs-shut off warm won't restart.

Customer Question

2006 FLHTC motor starts and runs-shut off warm won't restart. EFI fuel pressure good-compression good-no spark-let cool down starts and runs- 4.5 volts ac at crank sensor wtf
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
That crank sensor voltage seems way too high. I'm not certain what effect it would have because I've never seen one that high. I'd probably clean/change that to get it back down in the normal range (1 to 3 volts AC). I'll dig into the HD electrical manual to see if it has any more details on that voltage. Typically not effected by heat but the bank angle sensor in the turn signal module will kill the spark. This is especially true if its mounting location or orientation has been modified from stock. The orientation of it is critical to correct operation. If you don't have security you can unplug the TSM to see if the problem is corrected. The most common problem when heat is an issue is the engine temperature sensor but it will not cause a no spark condition unless the plugs are wetted from excess fueling (which is the result of a bad engine temperature sensor). I can send you a temperature chart to test the ET sensor if you want to eliminate it as an issue. Again, not really spark related but the IAC motor also creates no start conditions. If it does not step to the correct setting when off the proper amount of intake air will not be present. If you crack the throttle slightly and the bike starts you know the IAC motor is the issue. I'm going to do some more reading I just wanted to provide a few other reasons for warm bike no start conditions. I'll let you know if I come up with anything definitive from the HD electrical manual. Thanks, P.J.