Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Hey Doug!I bought a used 2006 ZX10R last year and have

Customer Question

Hey Doug!
I bought a used 2006 ZX10R last year and have had nothing but problems on this bike.
To start with, the bike was running very lean and was dying beyond 8 / 9k RPM. We opened up the intank fuel pump assembly and figured the pump was almost bust with very low fuel flow. So, we replaced the pump and cleaned up the filter and regulator to get the OEM specified flow rate. Now, the bike runs very rough below 6/7K RPM (like 2/3 cylinders are firing and not in sync), but gets smooth up the rev range. However, power is very bad and feels like 30 - 40% of the factory claimed HP.
Any insights you may have on what the issue could be would be much appreciated. As of now, we're checking the wiring from ECU to engine, and after that will check the ECU, but other than that, we're pretty much out of ideas.
List of other related repairs already done:
- New battery
- Replaced ignition coils, new iridium spark plugs
- Injectors: Cleaned with New O rings, injector rubbers, injector nozzle O rings, injector insulators
- Engine: New engine head gaskets, oil seals
Thanks,
Namit
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
If you have not had a compression test done this should be done to see if one or more cylinders are low on compression.If there is a compression issue this may be a piston ring or cylinder wall damage issue.If this is all o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Pete,Thanks for replying.Piston rings and cylinder walls are OK but low compression was an issue, which was rectified by changing the head gaskets, injector rubbers, etc. We haven't yet split the engine and checked out the conrods and crank as yet, though.As I stated above, my mech thinks its likely an electrical issue and is testing the ECU to engine wiring right now. Looking for ideas if there's something else that could be the issue, from someone who's worked on this specific model, and not generic info...Thanks,Namit
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately with my info being limited on this model it will be best for me to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.
Thanks Pete