P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have a 2013 road king and it intermitidly won't start due

Customer Question

I have a 2013 road king and it intermitidly won't start due to the security system. I currently have the red wire that hooks on to the battery is off and has not stopped me from starting it before. When I disconnect the battery, the alarm constantly sounds. Any suggestions? Can't start it and am on vacay! It grinds and clicks when I try to start it and when I walk away the alarm resets and the lights flash.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
If your bike grinds and clicks when trying to start the the security system is not the issue. The security system disables the start button and it will not try to start at all when armed. The fuel pump will run and the lights will come on but the start button is disabled. The siren sounding when the battery is disconnected while the security system is armed is correct and normal operation. The security re-arming when the bike is turned off is also correct and normal. It sounds like you have a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery cables. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.