P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I ran a ac run test on my 2002 ultra classic stator and got

Customer Question

I ran a ac run test on my 2002 ultra classic stator and got .134 with engine at 2000 rpm is this a bad stator
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds bad but lets make sure you covered all the bases first. For your AC test did you connect the meter (set to AC volts) between both stator wires with the stator unplugged from the regulator?Did you do a continuity test from each of the stator wires to ground? This will tell you whether or not the stator is shorted out and is necessary. Let me know. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes done it all I believe it's my staor out but not sure I lost my volts on my gauge and it ran down my battery
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it gas gone bad.
If you run additional lights and accessories I might suggest looking into upgrading the charging system to a 3 phase system. It is a little more money for materials but the benefits are more capacity, more output at low RPM's. The install labor is essentially the same.
The stock system works good on a stock bike but is running at full capacity and cannot handle additional loads.
I hope this helps, thanks P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was running 90 mph for an hour and a half on the interstate did this cause it to go out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the .134 is to low what should I read at1200 rpm
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
The voltage at 1200 RPM should be around 25 volts AC or so.Just over one tenth of one volt is definitely low. Thanks, P.J.