Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Bike stalled on freeway, lost all electrical and speedometer

Customer Question

Bike stalled on freeway, lost all electrical and speedometer arm stayed at 68 mph the speed I was travelling. All fuses are fine even replaced the system relay on the on the ECM fuse box and checked fuses, no joy.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recently removed headlamp and nacelle to tighten handlebars. All was fine before then. Bike ran fine and at about 10 miles that was when it shut down.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the only advice I can give you is to remove the headlamp and nacelle and look for damaged wiring at all pinch points.hopefully, a good visual inspection will reveal the cause. a loss of all electrical power can ONLY be caused by:- blown maxi fuse- loose wiring or a problem with the ignition switch.- a problem with wiring between the battery and the ignition switch. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks that is a good start... if I may ask another question.. Why would the Speedometer needle stick in 68 MPH position ? And what /where do I find the maxi fuse. I remember a large paddle fuse in line somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
- the maxi fuse should be behind the left side cover, near the fuse block.- the speedo is stepper motor type instrument and requires power to move. it may also have been damaged in the electrical transient that interrupted power. if it comes back after power is returned, it should be ok. if it doesn't, you will need to replace it. Steve