Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I HAVE 2002 KAWASAKI PRARIE 650 JUMPING OUT OF GEAR

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.As a general rule, the symptoms you are describing are synonymous with rounded dogs on transmission gears. Although that is more than likely exactly what it is, if you could get me some more detail about when the problem occurs, it will help pin down the most likely culprit.What I am curious about is when does it do it? Does it make a difference if it is hot or cold, hard acceleration or casual acceleration, did it happen all at once or has it gradually been getting worse? Any additional detail you can provide should prove beneficial in streamlining the diagnosis and repair of your ATV.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GRADUALLY GETTING WORSE WE WARM IT UP BEFORE USING IT AND IT DOES IT UNDER A LOAD WHEN YOU ARE PULLING A CUTTER AND NOW IT IS DOING IT WITHOUT PULLING A LOAD. WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO FIX IT IF YOU KNOW THANK YOU.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DOES IT IN HIGH GEAR REAL BAD CANT USE HIGH GEAR ANYMORE LOW GEAR WAS OK
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
The transmission is going to have to come apart and high gear along with its mating gear and shift fork are most likely all going to need to be replaced.The symptom you described of jumping out of gear and getting worse as time goes by, and getting to the point where it is unusable are the exact symptoms that point to rounded dogs on the transmission gears. The only way to be 100% positive about what needs to be replaced is take ti apart and scrutinize each individual component. I would not be surprised to learn that it is going to take replacing about everything associated with high gear, plus the gaskets, seals and oil.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB