Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My 08 ultra classic powers up ,fuel pump runs but no spark

Customer Question

My 08 ultra classic powers up ,fuel pump runs but no spark , cranks fine
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
I suspect the crank position sensor may be the issue. If you have a voltmeter available you can use it to check the sensor. The sensor is located on the left front of the engine case near the end of the oil filter. You'll want to first remove the single retaining bolt and then pull out the sensor and clean it. It is a magnet and collects metal debris which can interrupt the signal. Using the meter on the AC setting you'll connect the leads to the two wires leaving the crank sensor. It does not matter which meter lead connects to which wire. While cranking you should see 1 to 3 volts AC depending on cranking speed. If you don't see a voltage produced then it indicates a bad sensor and I'd suggest a replacement. The sensor's OEM part number is ***** and are available from HD and from aftermarket suppliers for about $60. The simplest way to connect the meter to the sensor wiring is to chase the wiring down under the regulator and unplug the connection in the wiring. Unless you have small alligator clips for your meter leads you may need another person to crank the bike while you hold the leads. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PJ pulled the sensor, cleaned it there really wasn't dirty,replaced used a meter was getting 1.89 bolts , checked fuse swapped relays around still no fire?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
I would consider that sensor good. The next check is for power at the coil power first. It will be the yellow/green wire in pin location "A". This power will show up momentarily when the ignition is turned on and then go off until you start cranking the bike again. This power comes from the system relay pin number 87. Let me know what you find. Thanks, P.J.