Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

The bike is actually a 2014. After installing a new clutch

Customer Question

The bike is actually a 2014. After installing a new clutch to resolve jerking in first gear, the jerking persists. It's not nearly as dramatic now, but it's still present. What's more, the motorcycle has suddenly started to get stuck in Neutral regardless
of the gear I'm in. I can shift to any gear, and hear the gears shift, but the bike still behaves like it's in neutral. I'm able to release the clutch and idle in every gear. The bike won't accelerate either, it just revs. I'm at a loss.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.There are a couple of things that jump out at me from your description of the problem.First, if a new clutch did not resolve the jerking issue in first gear, it was never a clutch problem in the first place.Second, what you are describing as neutrals is really the clutch slipping. If it was transmitting power when you first replaced it and now no longer transmits power, either something has come loose from the installation of you do not have any freeplay in the clutch cable/release mechanism.As counter intuitive as it sounds, taking free play out of the cable or release will make the clutch slip. This is because the clutch springs are no longer unrestricted to do their job. The cable or release mechanism is pulling against them and relieving spring tension.You should be able to tug on the clutch cable with a thumb and forefinger of your right hand as you wiggle the clutch lever with your left hand. This means the cable should slide in and out of the adjuster on the clutch perch with the tug of just two fingers. If you feel spring tension right away, you do not have any free play. If you aren't sure, add freeplay to the cable. Do this by screwing the adjuster at the clutch perch in towards the clutch lever. Keep screwing it in until you feel free play. Once you are 100% sure you have freeplay, start the bike up and see if the clutch now works. If it still doesn't, there is a chance you have damaged it from having the adjustment too tight. Either that or we are back to the original point, something was installed incorrectly. In either event, if you get free play and still don't have power going from the engine to the rear wheel, you are going to need to take the clutch apart again and inspect it for signs of trouble.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOBPS, I found a picture of cable free play in the on line owners manual for your bike.Here is a link to that:http://www.johnnypagmotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Owners-Manual-Malibu-320i-edition1.2.pdf