P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Question: All I did was simply change the battery in my 2010

Customer Question

Question: All I did was simply change the battery in my 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra and the Radio will not work. Appears to have no power, all fuses are good!
What could have happened hear?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
A little more information may be helpful. Does everything else seem to work? Is the radio stock? Do you have voltmeter and can you remove the fairing to do some testing? Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it all works, I know how to use a volt meter by the question is why? Again, I only swapped out the battery!
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
The meter will just find the problem. It could be (most likely) a coincidence. They happen all the time. Let me know if you want to troubleshoot it and we can go through some wiring checks. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.J. I joined this service to receive a competent answer to this problem. Yes I can run my Volt meter all over the bike and track down the problem but when I go online I see a lot of guys talking about Firmware issues very sim to mine right here? Theres power to the Stock HD Radio but the Radio itself will not power up. My Volt meter is not going to tell my why???? Again, I paid for your advise here and I have not received any yet?This problem needs to be resolved and this waiting about 24 hrs to receive a response for you each day is not what I was lead to believe would happen when I paid for this service. As a matter of fact, the web site claims that you would in MOST CASES respond to all of my questions in approx. 10 minutes or less.Whats next here, I need to resolve this issue and I hope you can provide me with better info then to tell me to take out my volt meter. What is this, ELECT. 101????Please advise!
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Let me begin by saying that I apologize this service isn't what you hoped it would be. It took 14 hours for your original response to make through to me. I'm not sure if you tried to respond more quickly but the timestamp lists it as being the following day just before lunch. Again, I apologize that you were expecting a faster response time. I understand your frustration with your radio but it is difficult on my end to make any determinations based on your original statement. You originally stated that the radio "appears to have no power" but the "fuses are good". By using the test meter I intended to assist you in searching for the reason the radio having no power. By using the schematic we could have methodically worked our way from the radio back toward the fuse box to check the power, ground, and memory wiring to determine why you felt it didn't have power. Knowing now that you've determined it does have power would have changed the direction of the use of the meter. We could have determined whether any of the hand control wiring was disconnected or shorted possibly creating an issue with powering up. If we had worked our way through the troubleshooting process by using the meter we may have determined that there was an internal error causing the issue. This would have triggered me to suggest taking the radio to a shop with a Digital Technician or a TechnoResearch Centurion system. Both of these computer systems have the ability to electronically diagnose the radio to a point. I would have made this assumption because I already assume that you don't have either of those computer systems or you would have done the diagnosis yourself prior to entering your request on this site. It appears, however, we've reached an impass. You don't seem to have confidence in the direction of our troubleshooting flow. It also appears that you have already made a determination in your mind from a Google search, other opinions, or other folks' radio problems. At this point I'm going to opt out of the question. This will allow the question to be placed back on the list for other experts to view. They can determine whether or not they are able to assist you further. If you are unhappy altogether and just want your money back that is simply done through a request with no questions asked. I hope you get your issues resolved. I also hope you get your radio working. Take care, P.J.