Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a Harley 2009 Sportster 1200 custom with 17000 km and

Customer Question

I have a Harley 2009 Sportster 1200 custom with 17000 km and stage one and Screamin Eagle slip ons. Just had complete 15000 k tune up. All fluids and plugs changed. It has a stutter at 25 k in first gear and a stutter in 2nd gear at about 45 k. I am guessing around 1200 rpm. How do I get rid of the stutter. Dealer said possible download for ecu may help but no guarantees or to install new ecu with more tuning abilities plus put on dyno. This will cost big time and no guarantees. Others suggest that less restriction in exhaust can cause problems with less back pressure not allowing ecu to compensate. Any suggestions on how to clear this up. Thanks. Frustrating driving in town with slow traffic. Stutters when holding at steady low rpms.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
my first and best suggestion is to NOT ride the bike with the engine at 1200 rpm. lugging the engine is not good for the drive train.you should be riding at 2,000 rpm when cruising in town.get the rpm up and your problem will stop. the second and only other option you have are to follow the advice of your dealer to tune the bike to ride where you shouldn't be riding it. let me know if you need more help,Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bad it is about 2500 rpm in first and 2nd at steady throttle. It would cost about $250 for download with limited adjustment abilities or up to $1200 to install a super tuner with dyno with no guarantees either way that it will correct the issue. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if it has a stutter around 2500 rpm, the problem is related to your fuel map. you will have to decide.- follow the advice of your dealershipor- for about the same money you can replace your ECM with an aftermarket, self tuning ECM.if you follow the dealers advice, you will be required to tune the fuel map yourself, or drop it off at the dealership for them to tune for you. if you install a self tuning ECM, the engine will tune itself as you ride.the two units that have been on the market the longest are made by Daytona Twin Tech and ThunderMax. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have suggestions which one to go with. I am fairly novice and am looking for the easiest fastest and least maintenance. Thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Daytona Twin Tech TCFI model 17401.