Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

1982 Honda XL185s...Turn signals work, tail & brake lights

Customer Question

1982 Honda XL185s...Turn signals work, tail & brake lights work, When brakes are applied, turn signals stop flashing. Drivin me crazy. Can you help?. thanks.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, not sure if Timoto is around today.I can give you some assistance if that is okay?ThanksWS--
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can be reached at(###) ###-#### ***** PST when you have time. Thank you. Rick Williams
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
A few reasons exist for the signals to stop flashing when brake lights are on. First reason is the Honda has a minimal charging system. This means that all connections have to be very clean and good. Electronic spray can help with this. Most likely you have looked for corrosion andpoor contacts already but it must be mentioned. Second thing is that the flasher used by Honda is the mechanical bi-metal type.This type of flasher relies on heat to make it flash. This meansthat the wattage of the bulbs used is very important.Bulbs must be the correct voltage and wattage designedfor the bike originally. When the brake light comes on it takes awaysome of the current needed to flash the signals.A weak battery might also contribute to this problem.See if the lights flash when you have a battery chargerapplied. This will tell you if you are low on current or not.The only way to get the signals to flash is by increasing the current supplied by the battery or by changing the wattage of the signal bulbs or possibly the easiest solution is by using a led bulb in the tail light or installing a solid state flasher which does not rely on the current and can even make led bulbs flash. That would be my choice.Let me know if you need more info.WS--
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.memotronics.com/2-prong-electronic-led-compatible-ef32ss-r-solid-state-turn-signal-flasher-25a/