Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Replacing the starter on Yamaha 1995 WV700

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome. I amCustomerand I am happy to help you. What kind of assistance were you looking for on the replacement of the starter on your 1995 Wave Venture 700?Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need a diagram to show where the starter is located and do I have to remove the engine to get a starter
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Here are two parts diagrams that show the starter motor and how the mounting bolts are oriented, and the crankcases showing were the starter is installed into the cases.As far as whether you have to pull the engine or not really depends on whether the starter is stuck in the cases or not. On skis that have been used in salt water, the nose of the starter usually gets stuck from corrosion in the cases and usually requires engine removal to get the starter out of the cases.My suggestion is to remove the 2 bolts (with 12mm heads) and try to wiggle the starter out of the block. If it comes out, you are home free. If it doesn't, you have a lot of work ahead of you. If you are not in a hurry, you can spray the area of the cases and starter nose down with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster and let it soak for awhile. And when I say awhile, its like spray it down a couple times a day and give it 5-7 days. Pulling the exhaust will give you better access to the starter motor, but do NOT, and I stress NOT! attempt to pry the starter nose cone out of the cases. you WILL BREAK the front off the starter, GUARANTEED. Then you are going to have to pull the engine out to be able to get the front cover off and drive the broken piece out of the cases, then install the new starter you had to buy. The aluminum on the front of the starter motor is just not made to withstand prying against, so don't even try.Here are your diagrams. and for descriptive purposes, it is bolted to the cases under the exhaust on the left side of the engine, with the mounting bolts pointing forward. You can also trace the black negative batter cable down to the starter motor too. They use one of the starter mounting bolts to attach the battery ground cable to the engine.http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahapwc&a=41&b=14&c=0&d=1995%20WAVE%20VENTURE%20700%20STARTING%20MOTOR In this next diagram, you can see where the nose of the starter plugs into the cases right in front of the front #9 dowel pin. There is a protrusion sticking out on the side of the cases where the nose of the starter plugs into. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=18&make=yamahapwc&a=41&b=3&Action=OIf you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB