Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I have a 2009 sportsman 500HO, I cannot get it fire, I have

Customer Question

I have a 2009 sportsman 500HO, I cannot get it fire, I have installed a new battery also. the gas is still from last year...I am thinking about draining the tank but unsure how to do that. Have a new plug to install also...so what do you think?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
hello,after these have sat for more then a few months with nothing done to it, the carb will need cleaned. this is the most likely reason it will not fire. oild fuel in the carb gums up quickly and plugs or obstructs the fuel jets that allow it to run. a good carb clean is what i would do first. if you have never done this before i would encourage you to have a shop perform this or if you are mechanically inclined a good service manual from polaris will show how to do this step by step. typically fuel added cleaners and things of that nature do not tend to work. so it must be done manually. even if new fuel was added, and you would be able to get it to fire up, chances are it will no run or idle correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This ran for approx 2 min with the choke out for the first start this year rough idle than died
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this sounds a lot like your carb needing cleaned. Since this has sat unused some things can happen. The fuel that sits in the carb will begin to gum up components inside the carb. There are two things here that are affected. First the float valve. When duty the float valve will stick in place not allowing new fuel to enter, so likely the atv ran off the fuel that was available but without adequate flow ran out. In the float chamber in the carb is also the fuel jets. The smallest and easiest to plug is the pilot jet. This jet is responsible for fuel delivery at idle. These are both classic symptoms of a dirty carb from sitting unused. I would recommend a good carb clean to fix this.