Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2001 suzuki intruder, complete electrical failure. Random electrical

Customer Question

2001 suzuki intruder, complete electrical failure. Random electrical returns but when trying to start there is a click and all power is gone again. Randomly returns after an extended length of time. I see you say there is a "breaker" on the way to the starter solenoid/relay. How do I locate that breaker. Note: my main fuse panel has a 25AMP main fuse and several 10AMP.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially (and if have not been tried), the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then load tested (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating it as a suspect).
Additionally, check/clean (or better yet, replace) the MAIN fuse co-located with the starter relay in most versions. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay.
Some would even have a spare main fuse also at the starter relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses have been tested and retested. The bike is immaculate, never been down and NO scratches. I clean it after every ride and before winter and prior to spring. Battery is new.
When electricity returns, when attempting to start it, there seems to be a prominent click with no attempt to crank the engine. The starter relay is the apparent source of the click. Placing a finger on it identifies the click source as the relay. I may get two attempts to try starting both ending with the click and eventual loss of all electrical power until something somewhere resets.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have a multimeter. Did I say that the initial problem occurred while riding the bike. Complete electrical failure at about 25MPH. Had the bike towed home.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Things to consider with the ignition switch On:
• the starter relay/solenoid would only and only should click when pressing on the starter button;
• measure voltage with respect to engine ground to:
- battery's + terminal;
- supply terminal of the starter relay/solenoid;
- if the version has a fuse at the starter relay, remove the fuse and check also the voltage where the fuse was inserted to
- if the version has 2 smaller wires to the starter relay, also measure the voltages at these wires.
Could you please provide a clear closeup picture of the starter relay/solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when electrical power is present (lights are on) the starter clicks once and all dies. A possible OFF/ON with the key switch may allow a second chance if the light come on. But only a click is heard. Then it will not "Lights ON" with an key OFF/ON until something resets in the system. A repeated OFF/ON does nothing. I have rung out the key switch and no problems. Unpluging it from the green connector and reading voltages show the 12v supply to the key switch present.Battery + Terminal to GND is 12.33VBattery to supply side of relay is not available due too electrical failure.No apparent fuse at the starter relay.No voltage on two smaller wires due to electrical failure. Reading through the starter relay on the two wires an indication od 3.5 OHMS is shown. Probably the toke resistance or the relay's coil.If and when the lights come back on I will take the requested voltage readings.I have a Starter Relay Pic. I can't figure out how to cut and paste it into the conversation. Best example I can do right now is a listing from Amazon. Looks exactly the same including the epoxied set of wires coming from the relay.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008WNTKHQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=Is there anything you think I can take out of the electrical circuit to help isolate the problem? Any of the solid state modules? Anything that would isolate all the accessory items (lights, horn, etc) and not damage anything? Disconnect the starter from the circuit? Call Scotty on the Enterprise and have him beam down a Turbo Entebulator along with Mr. Spock to install it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CORRECTION: Battery to supply side of the relay is also 12.33V.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
With battery terminal and supply side of starter solenoid at 12.33V, then follow, trace, check/clean the other/smaller red wire from the battery's + terminal. Again depending on the version, it may then be connected to a white/red wire that would lead to the fuse box. Similarly check/clean any connector along this wire including to the entry point of the fuse box.