Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Morning from Maine. What could cause my 92 stock FLHS to lose

Customer Question

Morning from Maine. What could cause my 92 stock FLHS to lose all power and shut completely down after running smooth and strong for 12-15 miles in approx 80* weather?This has happened twice on the same ride. Any thoughts?? Thanks, Pete
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
there are very few things that can cause a loss of ALL power on your bike.they include:- trip of main circuit breaker.- fault in ignition switch.- loose battery cable. - the main circuit breaker is a thermal breaker that automatically resets after a few seconds. your bike came with a 30A breaker. you should have replaced it with a 50A breaker by now. if not, you should go ahead and do that. the main circuit breaker is under the right frame side cover, above the oil tank drain. if your voltage regulator is over charging the battery (more than 14.5 vdc) it can cause the main circuit breaker to trip. verify the battery voltage is around 14.2 vdc with the engine at about 2,000 rpm. measure that voltage with a hand held multimeter.- your ignition switch is old and dirty. I know this because I took the switch apart on my '92 FLHTC and found it to be in bad shape. fortunately, you can disassemble the switch for cleaning, reassemble and reinstall. unfortunately, you cannot replace it. it is obsolete and no longer made.- you bike has 3 main battery cables. one from the battery POS to the starter, one from the battery NEG to a starter mounting bolt and one from the frame cross member, under the transmission, to the inner primary. it is not uncommon for this one to come loose or be left off after maintenance. check that all three have a clean, tight connection.let me know if you need more help.Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you,
Steve