P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

What happens to the engine if you dont retune /re calibrate

Customer Question

what happens to the engine if you dont retune /re calibrate the bike after one installs a ventilator kit
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
They (HD) will lead you to believe the bike will run lean. A lean bike will run hot bike which can cause issues if the heat is very high.The facts are that, because your bike uses O2 sensors, the ECM will make adjustments to the fueling to bring the air/fuel mixture back to the HD required (and EPA mandated) ratio (about 14.7:1). This is the reason the air cleaner is street legal (as long as you have stock exhaust).With the air/fuel adjusted back to the factory ratio it mean nothing will happen to your engine.I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.