P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have 2004 Harley Electra glide with trouble code p1357. The

Customer Question

I have 2004 Harley Electra glide with trouble code p1357. The light comes on under heavy acceleration then goes off. Notice lately it has been cranking longer then normal too
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
If the bike has recently ran out of fuel then just clear the code and all should be fine. No combustion will cause the code and running out of fuel will obviously cause that. It may just be a historic code. If you haven't run out of fuel recently and the bike is running good then that code can be caused by several issues. The most common is a loose or corroded spark plug wire connection. It can also be caused by a loose spark plug, plug wire with high resistance, or a problem in the ignition coil secondary. I've never seen a bad coil so I would suspect this last. I would suggest checking the plugs and plug wires first. If you have an ohm meter you should see about 1200 ohms per inch of plug wire length. If you are running any strange type of plug then I would suggest replacing it with a recommended plug. I have used regular Autolite 4164 plugs with never an issue. I hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't run out of fuel. It is only resent issue. Never feel a misfire and I'm very use to picking up on them having spent 20 years in a ford garage. Lol,they put NGK's in it I recently looked at the burn on the plugs they were running good I will ohm them out good to know the coils are good. Maybe a little die-electric on wire connection?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Dielectric may help.NGK's typically cause no issues. That code is technically set when the ECM doesn't sense combustion. It can mean that the cylinder actually misfired or there is a problem in the sensing circuit. Below is the HD diagnostic flow chart that you can run through to try to determine what is going on. It isn't for your bike so the wiring diagram may be different but the steps are the same. I can send you your schematic if you need it.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Here is the flow chart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could that would b great. Thx no more questions after this thx for your help
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Here is your wiring schematic. Let me know if you need anything else. Take care, P.J.