TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

My Suzuki SV1000 started making a loud clattering noise and

Customer Question

My Suzuki SV1000 started making a loud clattering noise and now refuses to turn over. I checked the magneto as I had the magnets fall of a few years ago but they were all OK. I put a wrench on the nut on the Magneto to try and turn the engine over by hand . It was like metal on metal stuck in 1 direction but it turned over the other way and I could hear compression type noises and then it jammed tight that way also.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would also add that I recently had the bike off the road to take off the Clip-Ons and install handlebars, a couple of months maybe. When I got it all going again it ran rough like it was running on 1 cylinder. I put some sea foam like stuff in the gas as I was thinking it was gunk in an injector form me having it tipped up on the rear wheel stand. It seemed to clear it up so I rode it to work and on the return journey ( after about 30 miles) it was acting up again. After about 5 miles of chugging along it started running good gain until I pulled into my street and all the above started happening.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
You have valves that are making contact with the pistons. Do not make any further attempts to rotate the engine as this will only cause more damage. Either the cam chain broke or got loose or the tensioner quit working and caused the valve timing to be off. It will require removal of both heads to determine the exact cause and to determine what parts will be needed to repair it.