P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have a 98 sportser 883 with a hypercharger, aftermarket high

Customer Question

I have a 98 sportser 883 with a hypercharger, aftermarket high performance carburetor, and a screamin eagle ignition. The bike runs fine when u first bust it off, but when I go to take off, and after it gets hot, it runs horrible. Any idea on what my problem my be?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Most commonly is a failing ignition module. It is located down on the right side of the engine behind the circular cover. You can test it by warming it with a heat gun to see if the bike begins to run badly then cooling it to see if the problem is corrected. It could also be fuel related. A clogged fuel tank vent line or a non-insulated fuel line can cause similar issues. Check these is the ignition module tests good. The hypercharger is problematic because it uses vacuum to operate it. Vacuum leaks are common on them which can affect your fuel valve if it is still the stock, vacuum operated one. It can intermittently close when it loses vacuum. This problem isn't typically heat related but I wanted to let you know that it is a possibility as well. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.