Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

TRX420FPE ES: My customer has a 2012 Honda TRX420FPE ES 4 x

Customer Question

My customer has a 2012 Honda TRX420FPE ES 4 x 4. It starts good and will run at the top speed of 3 miles an hour, the engine dies, runs a second, dies a second.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This ATV has been bad since the customer bought it new. Honda has tried three times to fix so the customer brought it to me. I can usually fix most everything.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Try running it with the air box lid off, any difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My credit card company declined the payment to you. I tried putting in a different card number and it won't take the security code. If someone would call, I can give you a card number over the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try running it with the air box lid off but will need to wait until this afternoon when it gets warmer here.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not do live phone calls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Forget the phone call option. Have you any idea what to do to fix this Honda?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to diagnose my problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not help to take the lid off the air box. Any more suggestions?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming that there is no FI light coming on and no flashing of the dash display, is that correct?
There are no service bulletins with regards ***** ***** issue and I have never encountered that specific problem before.
Try attaching an inductive timing light to the sparkplug wire then run the engine and see if the timing light quits flashing when the engine dies to determine if it is an ignition problem.
Also, remove the radiator cap and verify that the radiator is full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked everything that you have mentioned except the radiator.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
I will do some additional research on this and get back to you. Was fuel pressure checked or the fuel pump replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can't be a fuel pump problem because it will run for one second and dies for a second. It will run just fine when the weather is cooler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I just wrote isn't exactly correct "t can't be a fuel pump problem because it will run for one second and dies for a second". It doesn't actually die but it starts to buck at 3 miles an hour if the temperature is over 70 degrees. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm. It runs fine if the temperature is cooler and it always idles fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a question. How is the fuel injector controlled?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
The fuel injector is controlled by the ecu (engine control unit). It receives data from the various sensors and calculates how long the injector should be open and then sends power to the injector for the calculated duration.