P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have a 2009 HD Tri-Glide. Shortly after doing a parade with

Customer Question

I have a 2009 HD Tri-Glide. Shortly after doing a parade with it, I was unable to shift the engine anymore. The engine ran great, the clutch and foot pedal shifted, but it was like they weren't 'talking' to each other. I hope it's not my tranny, because just to ship it to my nearest dealer will cost me $2000, as I live in Sitka, Alaska. What's your thoughts?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
I'd check the connection between the shifter linkage and the transmission shifter shaft. It is very common for this connection to get loose. It is located down in a hole between the inner primary and the transmission. You can follow your linkage back from the foot pedal. The short vertical lever is on a splined shaft coming out of the transmission. The connection is a clamped connection that is tightened by a single allen head bolt. Hopefully it is just loose and the shaft or lever splines not damaged. It is tough to tighten properly. I have the best luck using an 3/8" socket allen head bit on a short extension. It is sometimes helpfull to have someone rock the shift lever back slightly as the ratchet wants to hit the bottom cooling fins on the rear cylinder. Remove the bolt and check the threads to be sure they are clean. Lubricate the threads with a light oil and then re-install it. The lubricant will allow the bolt to turn fairly easily and clamp well. Tighten it very tight. Be careful to keep the allen socket all the way down in the bolt head so it doesn't torque out and ruin your chances of getting it tight. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot! Beats having to ship it.Betty
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
It sure does. I hope it works out to be the issue. Take care, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took your info home to the 'Old man', and he asked about oil drainage before cracking open the housing????
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to open up anything to do the steps listed above. The area is located down in between the inner primary and transmission.
Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! We'll see how it works on my 'long weekend', coming up next week (I hope). I'll touch base whenever I do get to it, though, and let you know if your diagnosis was correct. Patience, Grasshopper - I work 12 hour shifts... It could be a while.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Just let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.