Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My 2005 FXD (carb, not EFI) back fired a couple times on the

Customer Question

my 2005 FXD (carb, not EFI) back fired a couple times on the highway then died. I pulled the clutch in and fired her back up and had to pump the throttle all the way home. The next day when i tried to start her it wouldn't even turn over. I checked my battery voltage and fuses with an ohm meter and the run signal from the start button to the starter relay. everything checked out fine. only thing is that i was not getting the run command from the TSSM box to the start relay. i've checked everything that i can think of, any ideas
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the Dyna Models 2005 service manual, if there are specific pages that you may reference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
more info... ran diagnostics
P - none
S - b1121, b1134, u1255
SP - none
t - no rSPI cleared the "S" (TSSM) faults. tried to start it again, nothing, but b1134 "starter output high" was on the faults again. how is the starter output high when it didn't even crank, more so it didn't even make the start relay. TSSM bad?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
You likely have a bad TSSM. The b1134 code is set when the ground is not established through the TSSM to enable the start relay. This ground is the "run signal" you mentioned above. The code names are ***** ***** easy to interpret. The service manual doesn't cover the electrical diagnostics. You need the electrical diagnostic manual for this information. You can just remove the tan/green wire from the TSSM plug and manually ground it. If the bikes starts and runs normally you know the TSSM is the issue. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.