Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a new to me 2009 Yamaha Vino 50cc w/7700miles. It normally

Customer Question

I have a new to me 2009 Yamaha Vino 50cc w/7700miles. It normally starts great, runs great, and has more power than I was expecting. However, I've got one problem...
My Vino is intermittently hard to start. When this occurs, the starter promptly engages and turns the engine over rapidly, however, the engine doesn't "catch" and run. To get the engine to run requires 2-3 attempts to start, each time with the starter engaging properly and turning the engine over for approximately 15 seconds before stumbling to life.
After a hard start, the engine runs very poorly for approximately 1 minute with very low power. This 1 minute of low power only occurs when engine has a hard time starting and not on other cold starts.
The only times this occurs is on cold starts when the bike hasn't run for several days. To be clear, if it sits overnight it will generally start great the next AM, hot re-starts are also no problem.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest the auto-bystarter or electronic choke may besticking or malfunctioning in some way.It is on the carburetor and has wires on it.It is designed to allow more fuel for cold starts.It sounds like it might be sticking when the bikesits for a few days. Might help to clean the needleon the end of it as it might be gummed up by fueldeposits. If the bike sits for long the fuel can go bad.Clean the needle and spray some carb cleaner intothe hole the choke goes into. Might help if the unitis still working properly otherwise.WS----