Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a yamaha vstar 650 custom, and I cant get it started.

Customer Question

I have a yamaha vstar 650 custom, and I cant get it started. I haven't ridden it in a long time, but it has a brand new battery. Even when I was riding it every day, it still took 10-20 tries to get it started. It will sound like it's about to turn all
the way over, then it'll sputter and die. I'm pretty mechanically stupid, so I don't know where to start. It has a full tank of gas, the fuel selector switch is set to ON, and i've got the choke out. Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Although I would not call the symptoms you described as common, it is also not unheard. Generally, it can be addressed by making sure the basic tune up adjustments are all in spec. Things such as valve adjustment, idle RPM, carb sync and fuel screw adjustment all affect starting.If you haven't had the valves adjusted in the last 4000 miles, you need to start there.If the bike has been sitting un-used for more than 30 days, the carbs will need to be cleaned. While the carbs are off and getting cleaned, it would be an excellent time to back the fuel mixture screw out an extra 1/2 turn from the stock setting.Once the carbs are cleaned and reinstalled, they need to be synchronized and the idle speed set to 1000 RPM's.Once you get those items squared away, you will find your bike starts much easier, warms up quicker and has better throttle response than it ever has.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this is something I can do myself? Or should I take it to the shop? The most work i've done on my bike is change the battery and install a trickle charger, which is quite a pain in the ass on my bike (thank you, youtube). As for the valves you mentioned- I haven't actually put 4000 miles on it. Is that something that should be done at certain mileages? Or can it be related to time instead? I greatly appreciate all the info!!!
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Since you mentioned it, how many miles are on the odo? Yamaha does call for a valve adjustment at 600 miles then at 4000 and every 4000 after that.
Let me back up one step and clarify some details I might have gotten wrong.
Has the bike been sitting un-used for more than 30 days?
How long has it been since the bike ran correctly? (Miles or Time)
Are you the original owner?
Thanks Customer