Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2 part question..I have a 1999 ultra classic..95cu in. motor..I

Customer Question

2 part question..I have a 1999 ultra classic..95cu in. motor..I want to install a much louder after market horn. Do I need to install the relay that came with the horn or can I use the original relay on my bike? AND where would the relay be located?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
You're bike doesn't use a relay for the horn as it doesn't draw much amperage. You will need to add one for the new horn in order to prevent the stock circuit from being overloaded. If you are installing an air horn they draw a tremendous amount of current so your relay feed circuit needs to be from a high current source and your battery must be a good one. The horn instructions usually reiterate this pretty often as it is the number one source of issues. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.