Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I changed my oil on my 99 ultra classic and the filter is tight

Customer Question

I changed my oil on my 99 ultra classic and the filter is tight against the regulator which has a chrome cover. A few years ago I replaced the bottom motor mount and it seemed to help. It was difficult to remove the old filter and tight installing the new one. What will fix this problem
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I am not clear on where you are going with this. Originally I thought you wanted to know the easiest way to remove your oil filter, then upon re-reading your post, I began to wonder if your concern was that your rectifier was hitting the oil filter.If you are looking for an easy way to remove the oil filter, I suggest one of the cup style wrenches that has the fluting that matches the fluting on the oil filter. There is a square drive on it that allows you to attach a 3/8" extension and ratchet to use for easy removal. Installation should always be by hand only. Tighten, but by hand only.If you are asking about the rectifier touching the oil filter, I suggest checking the mounting bracket to ensure it isn't bent, or if it is just the chrome cover for the rectifier hitting the O/F, consider trimming the cover back to clear the O/F by a bit.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB