Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

1996 FLH EVO will scavenge oil through a makeshift filter bypass

Customer Question

1996 FLH EVO will scavenge oil through a makeshift filter bypass hose but not through filter. Deal is that this was original problem and new oil pump, oil lines replaced by rubber hoses, new filter and filter housing thoroughly inspected for obstructions etc and problem remains. Old pump had some scoring on the scavenger side so figured that was problem. What are the odds that the new pump would be defective in the same manner? boggles the mind. HELP!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure I understand your problem.normally.....the oil pump does not scavenge oil through the filter........so stating that does not help.the oil pump scavenges oil from the gearcase and pumps it through the oil filter, back to the oil tank.please tell me what the original problem was, how it was identified and how you got to where you are now.just the facts please.we can continue then.Steve