Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

How do I adjust the rear shocks on a 2011 fxdc...literally..how

Customer Question

how do I adjust the rear shocks on a 2011 fxdc...literally..how do i do it..?
I have a spanner wrench..which way do i turn it..i seem to bottom out when riding..
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I believe number one setting is the lightestand 5 is hardest. Put the spanner in the holesaround the bottom and you might want a lightcloth on it to protect the chrome. Turn the spannerand set both shocks the same. Ride it and seeif it is enough or reset them to a harder setting.It just preloads the spring to make a harder or softer ride. ----
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks..but turn it which way?..from back to front or...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and how much resistance should I expect..?
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, five is softer, one is harder.The collar with the holes just turns aroundthe bottom of the shock. You can sometimesdo them by hand if you are strong oruse a rubber strap wrench to prevent damage.There should be an arrow on rear of the shockso you can select 1 -5 position. It might bemarked 0-4 but has five positions overall.Older models had a large locknut abovethe spanner holes, not sure if yours has that.If not, just turn it anticlockwise for harder setting.A test ride will confirm the settings. ---