Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Steve We have an '11 sportster that is getting no fuel The

Customer Question

Steve
We have an '11 sportster that is getting no fuel
The tank has been off getting painted
Put back on and can't here fuel pump run
No fuel at disconnect
Connection is hooked up for power
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel filter had small particles of dirt ,soaked in gas an blew out , still can't here pump running and no fuel to quick disconnect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
First check the ECM fuse. It supplies power to the system relay which, in turn, supplies power to the fuel pump. With a meter check for power on the blue/gray wire at the system relay when the bike is turned on.If that ECM fuse is good and the blue/gray wire has good power then use your meter to check for a couple seconds of power on the yellow/green wire at the fuel pump. If no power then chase the yellow/green wire back toward the system relay and try to determine what the problem is with it. If you have power present on the yellow/green for the first couple seconds when the bike is turned on then you need to check the pump ground wire. Using you meter on the continuity setting check for continuity from the black wire at the pump plug to the battery negative.If both the pump power and ground test good and all 4 terminals are properly pressed into the pump plug and are in good condition then you have a bad fuel pump. I hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok results below
12 CDC on green /yellow for 3 sec
5.2 steady on yellow/white- guessing this is low fuel indicator power
1vdc on yellow/ red- guessing this is return for fuel indicator
Ground- black wire reads 0.00 ohms
Cannot hear pump run when putting +12 directly to pump while grounding out black wire-this is disconnected from bike!
Suspect it locked up during its time setting in box waiting for tank to get done .
Dan/
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
They do get stuck. You can sometimes "jump start" the pump by using a good battery charger (10 amps or higher) and jumper wires directly to the input terminals. A charger will typically output a little higher voltage than your battery and it is sometimes enough of a torque increase to make it turn. Amperage is critical. If you have (or can make) a good set of jumper wires it is somtimes enough to just run it straight to the battery to get it going. It's worth a shot before disassembly for sure. Thanks, P.J.