Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I have a 1998 Honda Shadow VT 1100the bike sometimes cuts out

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Honda Shadow VT 1100the bike sometimes cuts out in sure G when I'm trying to maintain a constant speed....that was supposed to say the bike and cuts out andSurges.....what causes it to cut out (like its starting to run out of gas) and have that surging without moving the throttle it feels like when you have a head wind that is strong then weak....idk if I explained that right....
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
The surging is likely due to a lean fuel mixture in your mid throttle opening. I would run it with some clean plugs in the area of the surgeand then stop the engine quickly. Do a colour check on the plugsto determine if they are dark, light, sooty, oily or whatever.A light color means lean mixture, dark or sooty is too rich.There are various things that can cause this.One is dirty carbs or out of sync carbs, another is plugged fuel filter or weak fuel pump.If these are okay and the bike has always surged thenshimming up the carb needles can richen that part of the throttleopening. A strange source of excess fuel if the plugs are blackcan be the fuel valve or petcock if it is the vacuum typewith a extra small hose on the rear.You might want to check around the intake rubbers for air leaksalso with some carb spray or such. Air leaks on those ora loose vacuum hose can lean out the fuel mix.Let me know if you need more info.WS