TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I have a 2002 Honda TRX250TE that will not shift into reverse.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Honda TRX250TE that will not shift into reverse. It will shift from neutral and into all forward gears and back down to neutral. But no reverse. I have checked the reverse engage on the handle bar and the cable is connected. Could I get some suggestions on the problem. Thanks, Eddie
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Follow the reverse cable down to the bottom rear of the engine where it attaches to a lever. Check to see that there is not a stick or rock interfering with the movement of the lever. If good, put a 10 mm wrench on the bolt holding the lever on the engine and rotate it fully while an assistant presses the downshift button with the engine idling. If it shifts into verse now then the cable has stretched and you need to remove some of the slack in the cable by adjusting the cable adjuster located on the cable just below the handlebar lever.