Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2001 FXD Dyna Super Glide. Almost 50k on the odometer.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 FXD Dyna Super Glide. Almost 50k on the odometer. I recently changed plugs and air cleaner. I've noticed a couple of things. It seems to run rough. Maybe that's just me since this is my first Harley. But, I also smell exhaust/gas and the mileage is lower than I expected. I will probably get about 100 miles out of the whole tank.
Any ideas on what can cause the low mileage/rough idle?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
They do idle "rough". Your engine isn't balanced and is rubber mounted so it is normal to move quite a bit. The rubber mounts do deteriorate over time which causes excess movement. I'd suggest going ahead and at least changing the front one for sure. It gets soaked with oil during changes which really causes it to go bad quickly. The mileage can vary quite a bit. I'd expect yours to get more toward 150 miles/tank. It really depends on how you ride. If the inside of your exhaust tips are very sooty and you see a puff of black smoke when you rev the bike quickly it may be running rich. This is typically caused by someone messing with the jetting in the carburetor. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.