Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I have a 1990 ultra classic it won't stay charge what cause

Customer Question

I have a 1990 ultra classic it won't stay charge what cause that.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, could be a faulty battery, poor connections or grounds.Also the stator charging coils could be open or shorted.Finally the regulator/rectifier unit could be faulty.Start with cleaning up connectors and get batteryload tested. Check stator output on the plugat the front of the engine. Two terminalsshould output about 30 volts AC dependingon the engine rpms or check between thetwo stator terminals for continuity butno continuity to ground.If the stator has good output and no shortsto ground then the regulator is possibly the problem.If you have a drain on the battery when parkedthat could also run the battery down.Remove the negative battery cable and checkfor amps flowing between the battery and the cable.There should be next to no drain with key off.---
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i cut the radio on it start going down and kills the battery
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.
Check your charging system as I outlined and then checkfor drain with the radio on and with it disconnected,might be a short circuit in the radio if the chargingsystem and battery check out okay.---