RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have a vstar 650 and have excess backlash some where between

Customer Question

Hi i have a vstar 650 and have excess backlash some where between the gearbox and motor. ive checked the final drive and middle drive splines and teeth but can feel and see all is well....the backlash decreases slightly with gear changes and in 1st gear is about 45 degrees at shaft drive then of course more at back wheel.
i think i might have upshifted instead of down once
well i know i did but cant remember if it was shortly before this problem or not
regards
scott
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi the website told me 8min wait an hour and 20mins ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, yeh, they got my deposit too
a reply would be appreciated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright, you haven't delivered what was sold to me so if i can have my deposit back, i can stop waiting for my 8-9min reply an hour and half or more later
regards
scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeh its 2 1/2 hrs now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
16hrs
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I apologize for any claims this site may have made about response time. We as experts here have no control over that. IF you care to continue, I would like to help you.First, I am curious why it is that you think you have excessive backlash? What is it doing that brings you to that conclusion?Second, Is this something that you feel has changed over time? Was it once better than it is now?Last, how many miles are on the bike now?ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi rob, rolling off and on the throttle was never an issue, now it cant be done without a loud noise and thump through the bike. when the bike is not running and in gear i can rock it back and fourth about 50cm and hear the noise(not as loud as when riding) i first noticed leaving a mates place when i couldnt change gear nicely. even half clutching didnt help so i chugged home in third hoping id make it....yes it happened suddenly and not with obvious cause.
regards
scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
of and theres 55,000ks on clock 37ms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and now its been 6 days wait for a response
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
I apologize for the delay in my response, I have been out of town for the last week.
From your last description, it sounds more like a universal joint problem.
Although the 50cm is not alarming to me about rolling the bike back and forth in gear, the noise does not seem right.
At this point, about the only way to inspect the U joint is to remove the swing arm. You need to be able to see the movement and whether it is in the U joint or not.
To do that you are going to have to remove the rear wheel, which will take the final drive with it, the rear shocks and then the swing arm pivots. Once you have the swing arm off, hold the engine side of the u joint and move the drive shaft side of it to feel for excessive play.
If all appears fine at that point, you can put the engine into gear and rock the U joint back and forth to check for backlash in the transmission. For it to be a transmission problem, you should feel a noticeable difference in one gear compared to the rest. If it feels the same in all gears, then the problem is not in the transmission.
The last and least likely option would be the final drive. To acquire excess backlash in the final drive, a bearing or shim would have to be failing, but typically you would notice the noises they would generate long before you notice excessive backlash.
Run those options down and if you need more help, let me know.
Thanks Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks rob...ill check it out today
regards
scott
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Super, let me know!