Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a kawasaki 250 atv that is dripping fuel from the breather

Customer Question

I have a kawasaki 250 atv that is dripping fuel from the breather the coming from the bottom of the carb.My gas drips out!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Generally, this is associated with a stuck float or float needle. If the ATV has been sitting un-used for more than 30 days, it is almost guaranteed the carb needs to be cleaned.The best way to clean it is to remove it from the ATV, take it apart and soak it in either Yamaha carb cleaner/dip or, believe it or not, Pinesol. The Yamaha carb cleaner/dip is available from a Yamaha dealer, usually runs under $15 for a quart. You mix it with 2 qts. of water and soak over night. If you have a hot plate, you can heat the water and it will work in about 30 minutes. Hot, but not boiling. This solution boils well below straight water and will be gone before you know it.As crazy as it sounds, pinesol works well. Soak the carb and all carb parts in the pinesol over night. Rinse thoroughly with warm water when done soaking. Reassemble and install back on ATV.If the ATV has not been sitting, check the float to make sure it has not sunk (gas inside the actual floats) or the needle shows a wear ring around the tip. In either case, replace the affected component.ThanksRSRBOB