Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I am thinking of going to a 1250 conversion on my 2014 883N.

Customer Question

I am thinking of going to a 1250 conversion on my 2014 883N. What other mods need to be considered? Fuel?Air, clutch, ignition, exhaust?. I would like to know what all I am looking at to do this right.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
a 1200 conversion consists of larger bore cylinders and pistons.that is a bolt on and it will result in a compression ratio that is higher than desired due to the "883" combustion chamber volume.during this swap, you should either have the combustion chambers of the original heads re-worked or replace the heads with "1200" heads.either stock, HD heads or aftermarket heads from S&S or someone else. your engine will run fine on the stock ignition, cams, clutch and intake, or you can go as wild as you like.you will need to have the ECM mapped with a "1200" stage 1 download. so, bot***** *****ne is, new cylinders and pistons (or bore your stock cylinders and just buy pistons), and decide how you want to correct the combustion chamber volume (rework or new heads) and remap the ECM, as a minimum.Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you,
Steve