TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I have a 95 Honda foreman 400 4x4, it starts and idles fine,

Customer Question

I have a 95 Honda foreman 400 4x4, it starts and idles fine, I take off and it starts to big down, back fire a little and dies, I put back in nutural, starts up and idles out in get throttle hesitates then finally takes off only to die again
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It idles fine, hesitated when throttle is pushed, then bogs and dies in gear, in nutural revs fine
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Based on the symptom that you describe the most likely cause of the problem is in the main fuel circuit of the carburetor. Here is a link to a parts diagram for reference: http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondaatv&a=83&b=18&c=0&d=-CARBURETORCheck the condition of the vacuum piston #17. Closely examine the rubber diaphragm for any sign of a hole on the diaphragm. Look closely at the sealing area between the cover and the carb body, the seal must be tight and fully seat in the groove of the carb body. If good check the main fuel jet #33 for a restriction. Use the equivalent drill size or a welding tip cleaner to probe the orifice in t jet to e certain that it is not partially clogged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a brand new carb on it once it started doing that, and it does the same thing thing. Would it be possible both carburaters have the same issue? A used, and a new one?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Highly unlikely. Try running it with the air box lid off and see if that makes any difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm headin home this evening and I'll will give it a try and get back with you... Could it maybe be the gas vent hose clogged as well??
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so but you can try running it with the gas cap off to eliminate that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran with cap off and filter box too off then ran no filter. Continues to do the same thing... I'm at a total loss
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
It could be a fuel flow problem with a restriction in either the fuel petcock or the fuel line. Try disconnecting the fuel line at the carb then run the end into a suitable fuel container. Turn the petcock on and verify there is good fuel flow for enough time to fill a quart container.