Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1984 goldwing 1200A and I'm having charging issues...I've

Customer Question

I have a 1984 goldwing 1200A and I'm having charging issues...I've changedthe recifier...checked the stator...took the three prong connector off the stator and soldiered the wires together...it's only putting out 12.65 bolts at battery at 3300 rpm's and I was told it should put out at least 13 to 14 to keep the battery charged...so I guess my question is that if the solenoid is bad will that keep it from getting the adequate voltage to keep the battery charged? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Bryan
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
hello,Although it may be possible for that to happen you would likely still get the 13-14 voltage, the rest of the bike lights, ect may not take well to the load. The common issue with these is the stator. They have been known to go out as well as the connector issue. Have you done resitance checks with the stator wires? Do any of the three show any kind of continuity to ground? If so the stator is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tested the stator at the three wires each wire is showing between 5.5 and 6.25 volts...so that's where I'm stuck

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
with an ohm meter you will want to pick one of those three yellow wires and see if it has any reading to ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome back to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. With the question relisted and should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary check is to determine if the stator is able to output the necessary AC voltages. Pair 1 stator wire to any other stator wire and with the engine running, there should be ~50Volts AC between these 2 wires. Repeat on the other 2 possible pairing.
Anything lower would indicate a failing stator.