Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1999 yamaha R1, it runs fine til it reaches 130° then

Customer Question

I have a 1999 yamaha R1, it runs fine til it reaches 130° then quits running, then i wait half an hr then it runs. WTF???
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I want to be 100% sure I understand you. Upon first starting your bike for the first ride of the day, it starts and does fine until the temp gauge hits 130. At that point, the engine quits. You wait 30 minutes and it runs fine the rest of the day?RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fires up no problem, Shuts off at 130° & repeats over again. Stator & regulator rectifier new, carbs clean, new batt.wont run pass 130°.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification. I believe at this point the next logical test is to do a compression test on the engine and see what is going on. We need to start eliminating more variables and that would be a tremendous benefit in the process.Let me know what you get.ThanksRSRBOB