Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2001 Polaris ranger 6x4 and am having engine issu

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Polaris ranger 6x4 and am having engine issues.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2001 Polaris Ranger 6x4 with a 500 engine. Starts and idles great but under load it has no power in neutral it will rev to about 1/2 throttle before falling on it's face and backfiring up thru the airbox. Have meter readings for stator tests and have a new coil installed as well as new spark plug. Carb has been removed and thoroughly cleaned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem started with the carb boot between the carb and intake coming off or a portion of it dislodging, allowing air to enter and essentially killing the engine. This has happened before but I've just reinstalled the boot to a tight fit and usually it fixes it. This time it has not. Fuel is clean, treated and good quality. At idle it purrs like a kitten but once you rev it past half or put it in gear to try move it hacks and pukes, backfires and falls on its face. The ohm readings I took from the stator wires are as follows white/white-red 102.7 red/red-blk 18.8 yellow/yellow-red .3 There is a brown wire also that grounds to the coil mount. I have also pulled the flywheel cover and the flywheel and the woodruff key are exactly where they should be.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. With the indulgence of Jeff and should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, re-check the airbox and how it is connected to the carb. Ensure that air entry is only through the designated slot. Equally important, determine the battery voltage with a volt/multi-meter when:• ignition OFF and then when ON;• when starting the engine;• engine at idle;• when revving the engine.The above is a test for a potential voltage regulator (most likely) and/or stator (least likely) issue. Still, attempt to start again with throttle partially open. Then proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :• carefully remove the sparkplug;• check the burn color of the ceramic at the tip end;• results would indicate:- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue;- if oily, then an internal engine problem;- if light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern;• check if the tip is wet with fuel; and then• cautiously perform a spark test;• results would indicate:- if not wet or overly wet, then fuel delivery issue;- if no/weak spark then electrical/ignition concern;• consider replacing the sparkplug(s) (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating as suspect(s). Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.