Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

My 06 Ultra Classic SE front cylinder not firing, bike was

Customer Question

My 06 Ultra Classic SE front cylinder not firing, bike was running fine,,,Stopped, when restarted cylinder was dead
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the first thing I would do is retrieve diagnostic error codes:Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)SP = speedometerT = tachometer6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.7 - Record the codes.8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected."No Rsp" will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure. let me know what you find and can continue from there.Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got my bike home and did what you recommended...this is the code P1353..
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
P1353 - front cylinder no combustion EFI check for spark.let me know if you have spark to the front cylinder. we can continue then.Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Raw gas in cylinder and on plug
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
causes of no spark could be:- bad spark plug.- bad spark plug wires.- problem with coil.- problem with wiring between ECM and coil.- problem with ECM.- loss of compression, front cylinder. - you should check the plugs and wires for any obvious issues.- your coil is actually 2 coils in one. you can check it with an ohm meter. the primary resistance should be around 0.5 ohms. the secondary resistance should be 20k - 40k ohms.- if the plugs, wires and coil check out, check the wiring at the input plug on the coil to make sure there are no obvious issues there. follow the wiring all the way back to the ECM.- if no issues are found, you may have a bad ECM. before replacing it, I would perform a compression check of both cylinders to make sure loss of the compression is not the problem. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've replaced the plug wires and Coil and its still not firing...going to take it to the shop I guess
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you need more help.Steve