Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Mechanic
Experience:  15+ Yrs Factory certified technician and business owner.
8380480

At approximately 9000 ft. above sea level

Customer Question

At approximately 9000 ft. above sea level my 2014 Polaris RZR 570 LE did not want to run and had to be towed. Once we got to a lower elevation it ran just fine. Checked the spark to see if it was loaded up with fuel but it wasnt
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
It shouldn't run at that elevation.
Once you get to 5k feet it starts to get too lean.
9k feet is far beyond it's capabilities to adjust on it's own.
The air is so thin that far up it just doesn't have enough to run.
Compression gets low at that elevation and won't even pull the fuel into the engine to burn it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why were other ATVs running up there just fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it has an electric fuel pump also. So for the engine to get fuel I wouldn't think that should be an issue.
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't these machines built to run at higher elevations. I'm interested in your feedback. You're the expert
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Any machine can be tuned to run at that elevation. If yours wasn't remapped to run at that elevation then that explains why it quit running until you got it back to lower elevations is what I'm saying.
It does have a fuel pump and injectors but it's injected into the intake not into the combustion chamber.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know if you received my latest reply but Im not satisfied with your answer to my question. These machines will run at higher altitudes. Turns out to be a weak fuel pump. There is no remapping needed. They will lose some horse power due to elevation. But elevation itself will not shut them down if all components are working properly which I suspected anyway. But your answer was not correct or even close.
I would like a refund.