Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1997 honda rebel 250. while driving to work the bike

Customer Question

I have a 1997 honda rebel 250. while driving to work the bike puttered and died. It won't turn over. The bike has gas, i took apart the carb and cleaned (clear jets), i do get gas from the bowl if i unscrew, battery has charge, new spark plugs, coil looks like new. I tried getting a charge when i pulled the plugs out and saw nothing. i am capable of repairing myself if i know what the problem is. I have access to sites online that show exploded views and part numbers. I need this bike running asap, only means of transportation.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially and on "...won't turn over..."; if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then load tested (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).Additionally, check (or better yet, replace) the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:• if no starter action, then starter motor issue;• if starter would clack loudly, then an internal issue;• if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;• if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring fault.On the other hand, if it cranks but would not start/run, then attempt to start again with throttle partially open. Then check (if have not been done) : • carefully remove the sparkplug; • check the burn color of the ceramic at the tip end; • results would indicate: - if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue; - if oily, then an internal engine problem; - if light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern; • check if the tip is wet with fuel; and then • cautiously perform a spark test; • results would indicate: - if not wet or very wet, then fuel delivery issue; - if no/weak spark then electrical/ignition concern; • consider replacing the sparkplug(s) (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating as suspect(s). Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.