Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I'm Frits from the Netherlands I cleaned the carburetors

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Frits from the Netherlands
I cleaned the carburetors of my Honda Rebel 450. No it's running again, but poorly. With blobs/backfire in the carbs even blowing of the vacuum hose on the right cilinder. Furthermore gas is leaking from the overflow of the gastab.
What to do? hope you can help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi Frits and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, if it were just the carbs worked on, then re-check and re-work on the carbs with particular attention to the float height. Still, proposed other checks (if have not been done) :• carefully remove the sparkplug;• check the burn color of the ceramic at the tip end;• results would indicate:- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue;- if light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern;• check if the tip is wet with fuel; and then• cautiously perform a spark test;• results would indicate:- if not wet or very wet, then fuel delivery issue;- if no/weak spark then electrical/ignition concern;• consider replacing the sparkplug(s) (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating as suspect(s).Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.