Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1985 honda vt500. it a has a hesitation when you

Customer Question

I have a 1985 honda vt500. it a
has a hesitation when you throttle it. if you throttle it hard it boggs down/out and stahls. I have replaced. plugs, wires, coils, rebuilt petcock, and put a refurbished carb on it. I
(it is still doing the same as all the old parts, but not as bad). I found that if I blow in the air vent tube, it all goes away and runs great. why is that? what am i missing? Thank You!!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, ensure that the original airbox, air filter/element, rubber couplings are all seated/fitted correctly allowing air entry into the carb mouth through the designated airbox cover slot only. Still, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :• carefully remove the sparkplug;• check the burn color of the ceramic at the tip end;• results would indicate:- if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue;- if oily, then an internal engine problem (unlikely);- if light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern (most likely);• check if the tip is wet with fuel; and then• cautiously perform a spark test;• results would indicate:- if not wet or very wet, then fuel delivery issue;- if no/weak spark then electrical/ignition concern (least likely). Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.