Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Mechanic
Experience:  15+ Yrs Factory certified technician and business owner.
8380480

I have a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250 ATV, It would leak fuel out

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250 ATV, It would leak fuel out of the carburetor while it was sitting in my garage, so I bought a carb rebuild kit off of Ebay thinking a new needle/seat would fix it. It fixed the fuel leak problem but now it idles or rather runs at about 2000 rpms while the throttle is closed, all the while its backfiring and then it finally dies out and shuts off.
Thanks,
Paul
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
It sounds like your throttle valve isn't closed all the way and/or you have an intake leak.
Unscrew the cap off the top of the carb and make sure the valve inside is seating good and the needle is in place.
Then double check the intake boot tightness to the engine and the carburetor.
Otherwise you're probably looking at taking the carb back off and making sure everything is correctly assembled and adjusted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply....I already tried all those items. It must be getting air somewhere but I have checked all those items to no avail.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
If it's not at the carb then check the throttle cable routing.
If it's pinches or pulling on itself anywhere then it will not run correctly.
Also check the choke cable and where it goes into the carb. If it's not seating down in it's hole properly it will do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, I checked these items as well and have not found any glaring faults
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if you remove the air cleaner you should be able to use a mirror and see the throttle valve.
hit the throttle and when you let go listen for it to bottom against the pin.
That will tell you if it's closing all the way.
It's not going to be anything but the carb if it worked prior to you trying to fix it from leaking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I agree its a carb issue. I have checked and made sure the throttle valve is closing the whole way. It is bottomed out on the pin. Is it possible for the cap on the top to leak air? Or the choke plunger?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Both can leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How could I test if these items are leaking?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
The choke has a cylinder with a pin that has to slip down in the hole. If you're getting pressure pushing up more than say 1/8 inch before the threads of the cable touch the carb body then it's not going down in it's hole all the way.
If it's not going down in all the way you have found the problem.
The cap is pretty unlikely unless it's cracked or something.